Institut d'Astrophysique de Paris
Born 31.3.69 in Bordeaux
98 bis, boulevard Arago (Gironde, France)
F-75014, Paris, France French
Phone: +33 (0)22.214.171.124.19
Fax: +33 (0)126.96.36.199.01
2010-- "Directeur de Recherche CNRS", Institut d'Astrophysique de Paris.
2009--2014 "Honorary reader", University College of London.
1999--2010 "Charge de Recherche CNRS" Institut d'Astrophysique
1996-- 1998 "NWO post-doc" in the PLANET collaboration, Kapteyn Institute, Groningen.
1992-- 1995 "PhD in Astrophysics" from University Paris VI at Institut d'Astrophysique de Paris. PhD entitled « EROS : searching for baryonic dark matter via microlensing effects. Cepheids and pre-main sequence stars from the Magellanic Clouds”. with highest distinction.
1991-- 1992 ``DEA Astronomie & Techniques Spatiales'' (equivalent to a Master's Degree--First year of PhD in astrophysics), University Paris VI.
Fluent in English, Spanish and Papua New Guinea Pidgin.
"prix Louis Arman" from the Académie des Sciences (Paris) in 1996 for discovering metallicity effects on the Cepheid period luminosity relation that helped to reconcile the discrepant Hubble constant determinations. This prize was given every year (now every 3 years), to a researcher aged less than 30 for a remarkable work in applied mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, earth sciences.
- PI of PLANET collaboration , 2002-now.
- PI of ANR HOLMES (microlensing and exoplanet characterization) 2007-2011.
- coPI of ECHO, submitted to ESA as a candidate for the M3 Cosmic Vision med size satellite.
- Member of the EUCLID Science Working Group, exoplanet coordinator.
- Member of the WFIRST exoplanet sub comitee.
- CoI of the Microlensing Planet Finder satellite (led by Bennett, submitted to NASA discovery in 2006).
- Member of the EROS collaboration (1992-2007) to search for Dark Matter in the Halo of our galaxy via microlensing effect.
During the past 15 years I have been working on the following topics:
- Searching for planets via microlensing effects: online analysis systems, network of telescopes, modelling of microlensing light curves.
- Doing high precision IR photometry of transiting Hot Jupiters/Neptunes.
- Probing atmosphere of Bulge giant stars with caustics.
- Cepheid distance scale, pulsations, evolution, metallicity effects, hydro models.
- Star formation at low metallicities and Herbig stars in the Magellanic Clouds.
- Signal processing techniques for variable star and extrasolar planet transit search.
PI of observing proposals on the ESO 3.6m (EFOSC), ESO NTT (EMMI, SUSI, SOFI), ESO Large program of the WFI on the 2.2m, CFHT (MEGACAM, WIRCAM), VLT (FORS, UVES, NACO, CRIRES). coI on numerous observational projects (HST, KECK, SUBARU, SPITZER and ESO telescopes). I spent 250 nights observing from ESO La Silla since 1992, about 150 from other observatories.
- 1993-1995 Lecturer in Computer Science at "Lycée Militaire de Saint Cyr.
- PhD adviser of Virginie Batista (2007-2010) : Constraints on the abundance of Frozen super Earth orbiting M dwarfs.
- PhD adviser of Arnaud Cassan (2002-2005) : searching for extrasolar planets via microlensing.
- coPhD adviser with Prof Lamers (Utrecht) of Willem Jan de wit (1997-2001) : pre main sequence stars in the Magellanic Clouds.
Administrative duties :
- President of the commission of CSA/INSU in charge of the computer science activities (2003-2008).
- Member of the administrative council of the OSU Institut d’Astrophysique de Paris (2004-2008).
- Member of the scientific council of the CDS (Strasbourg), one term.
- Member of the INSU commission for Antarctica astronomy (2004-2006).
- Member of the Programme National de Planétologie (2010-2013).
- Member of the LABEX ESEP, and external member of the LABEX P2IO.
140 refereed publications, over 6300 citations, H factor of 45.
Some publications :
“Extrasolar planets, today and tomorrow”, (Beaulieu, Lecavelier des Etangs, Terquem), Paris, July 2003
“Wide field Imaging at DOME C”, (Beaulieu, Bouchet), Paris, June 2006
“Non linear stellar Hydrodynamics workshop”, (Beaulieu, Goupil, Kollath), Paris, July 2007
"Molecules in extrasolar planet atmospheres", (Beaulieu, Tinetti, Ribas), November 2008
"13th microlensing workshop", (Beaulieu, Gould, Marquette), January 2009