An history from 1936 to today
Site internet du CNRS Bandeau-IAP logoIAP
accueil | ContactDirectoryAccessSitemapdrapeau

An history from 1936 to today


  • 1936

On October 30th 1936, the Minister for Education Nationale Jean Zay created by decree the Service de Recherche d’Astrophysique (“Astrophysics Research Department”), made up of an observation station in Haute-Provence and a laboratory for data analysis in Paris. The Comité de Direction du Service (“Steering Committee for the Service”) presided by Jean Perrin, France’s vice-secretary for Scientific Research, met on November 9th and decided on January 23rd 1937 that the Parisian lab would be built on the Arago boulevard side of the Observatoire de Paris campus. On May 1937, the committee organized an international conference on “light absorption in interstellar space”, and in October, they created the Annales d’astrophysique (“Astrophysical Annals”). The Service de Recherche d’Astrophysique was first part of the Caisse Nationale de la Recherche Scientifique (“National Fund for Scientific Research”), then part of the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS - “National Center for Scientific Research”), when it was created in 1939.

Decree of October 30th 1936

Le ministre de l'éducation nationale
Arrête:
Art. 1er. - Il est créé un service de recherche en astrophysique.
Ce service comprendra:
Une station d'observation, située en Haute-Provence.
Un laboratoire pour le dépouillement et l'étude des documents d'observation, situé de préférence à Paris.
Art. 2. - Il est constitué un comité de direction du service de recherche d'astrophysique. La composition initiale de ce comité est la suivante:
M. Jean Perrin, prix Nobel.
M. Emile Borel, membre de l'Institut.
Mme Joliot-Curie, prix Nobel.
M. l'administrateur de la caisse nationale de la recherche scientifique. [J. Cavalier (décédé en 1937), ? Lecouturier]
M. le directeur de l'observatoire de Paris. [E. Esclangon]
M. le chef de service d'astrophysique de l'observatoire de Paris. [P. Salet (décédé le 20/11/1936)]
M. le chef de service du laboratoire d'optique de l'observatoire de Paris. [A. Couder]
M. Mineur, astronome adjoint à l'observatoire de Paris.
M. Chalonge, aide-astronome à l'observatoire de Paris.
M. Danjon, directeur d'observatoire de province.
M. Dufay, directeur d'observatoire de province.
M. le professeur de physique du globe de la faculté des sciences de Paris. [C. Maurain]
M. le directeur de l'institut d'optique. [C. Fabry]
M. Joliot, prix Nobel, professeur de chimie-nucléaire au Collège de France.
M. Francis Perrin, professeur à la faculté des sciences de Paris.
M. Hollweck, géophysicien.
M. Pierre Auger (rayons cosmiques).
La durée du mandat des membres du comité est de trois ans.
Art. 3. - Le service de recherche d'astrophysique est rattaché à la caisse nationale de la recherche scientifique.
Art. 4. - Le sous-secrétaire d'Etat de la recherche scientifique et l'administrateur de la caisse nationale de la recherche scientifique sont chargés de l'exécution du présent arrêté, qui sera publié au Journal officiel.

Fait à Paris, le 30 octobre 1936.

JEAN ZAY

  • 1938

The foundation stone of the CNRS building on the Arago boulevard was laid on January 1938. Henri Mineur was put in charge of the Laboratoire d’Astrophysique (“Astrophysics Laboratory”) in June 19th 1939; it was first hosted within the Observatoire de Paris, then within the Ecole Normale Supérieure and the Institut Henri Poincaré. Though construction stopped during the war, the building was finished by 1952 and the CNRS lab became the Institut d’Astrophysique de Paris. Its observing station will later become independent as the Observatoire de Haute-Provence.

January 6th 1938 : founding the IAP

IAPHenri Mineur (with the pickaxe), Daniel Barbier (2nd on the right)

Construction progress throughout the summer of 1939

IAP  IAP 

Janvier 1940

IAP  IAP 

In 1944, both of the building’s wings were set up. The remainder was finishd by 1952.

 


To find out more:

cnrs  upmc
Member of the ILP and ESP LabEx
ilp  esep

UMR7095 - Institut d'Astrophysique de Paris - 98 bis boulevard Arago - 75014 Paris - Tél. 33 (1) 44 32 80 00 - Fax 33 (1) 44 32 80 01 | ContactDirectoryAccessSitemap  | 

Layout in 2010 | Legal notice  |